Sunday, June 22

It's Getting Hot In Here

But this time, it's not me. It's my laptop. I want to use it in convenient places like everyone else does (aka: my bed) wait... that sounded bad... everyone doesn't used their computer in my bed... they use it in their OWN bed. And I want to use it in my OWN bed as well. But... then it overheats.

I need to find a way that I can be lazy and comfy and not burn out and overheat my computer at the same time.

Suggestions???? (please remember I'm cheap and poor and don't need to be given a link to something we both know I can NOT afford... so be gentle, please.)



1 comment:

smarmoofus said...

Two suggestions... the first one is relatively inexpensive: Just find a firm platform to put it on. I don't know what kind of laptop you have, but mine has the intake vents for the cooling fans on the bottom, so just putting my laptop on a firm surface is enough to keep the airflow going under there. The other suggestion can cost $10 to $30, depending on how good a shopper you are: buy a "chill pad"... it's basically a thin, lightweight pad that contains a couple of fans. Your laptop rests on it, you plug it in to a USB2.0 port and away it goes. It will drain your laptop's battery faster, though, since it draws power from your computer. But it means you don't overheat.

Since the internal fan when out on my laptop last year, I've been able to keep using my computer with only the chill pad for cooling. Not the smartest solution, but until I can find someone I trust to replace the internal fan, it'll have to do. (Don't worry... I regularly backup my data in case my solution ever fails to keep my laptop going.)

-smarmoofus